nounLaw , chiefly North American
- Reasonable grounds (for making a search, pressing a charge, etc.).More example sentences
- The test for reasonable and probable cause in a malicious prosecution case is the same as that in a claim based on false arrest or imprisonment.
- Ordinarily in criminal cases, a search warrant based on probable cause to suspect illegal activity is required.
- They have probable cause to believe a crime has occurred and that he has committed it.
More definitions of probable causeDefinition of probable cause in:
- The British & World English dictionary