Definition of procoagulant in English:
Relating to or denoting substances that promote the conversion in the blood of the inactive protein prothrombin to the clotting enzyme thrombin.
- Protective mechanisms prevent thrombin and other procoagulant enzymes from forming in healthy intact blood vessels.
- Thrombomodulin is an integral membrane glycoprotein that binds thrombin changing it from a procoagulant protein to an anticoagulant.
- The cap acts as a protective barrier between circulating blood and the thrombogenic, procoagulant contents of the lesion.
nounBack to top
A procoagulant substance.
- Taipan venom is overwhelmingly neurotoxic, including pre and post-synaptic neurotoxins, as well as powerful procoagulants and myolysins.
- The exudate, procoagulants, and leukocytes form casts in the airways, resulting in poor gas exchange.
- Chemotherapy acts by killing leukemic cells, which release procoagulants that can produce disseminated intravascular coagulation.
Definition of procoagulant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.