Definition of proctor in English:
1North American A person who monitors students during an examination.
- In reality, the examiners help the proctors in all the counting and recounting, both to save time and because it's also their necks on the line if anything goes missing.
- When instructors are not acting as proctors or detectives hoping to stifle cheating or ferret out dishonest students, some are dreaming up schemes of their own.
- The proctor will administer tests and act as liaison with Purdue University.
2British An officer (usually one of two) at certain universities, appointed annually and having mainly disciplinary functions.
- The kilt ban was sparked after university proctors - officials responsible for student discipline - complained about the variety of flamboyant clothing being worn to graduations.
- Breaking the code could result in a £70 fine from the university proctors.
- Anyone found to have breached university regulations on computer use would be referred to the proctors, and would be subject to investigation.
verbNorth American Back to top
Serve as a proctor.
- The students are taking the exam in two different rooms, so I did not want to proctor.
late Middle English: contraction of procurator.
- Example sentences
- Do you have an argument here, I mean, if it is a decision under an enactment, universities have their own internal structures, appeal mechanisms to professorial boards, proctorial boards and ultimately to university governing bodies.
- She is said to be considering taking proctorial or police action against the girls, who admitted receiving the e-mails.
- Far from that happening the proctorial office of DU now denies that the girl is a bona fide student of DU.
Definition of proctor in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia