- Since most do not operate to earn profits, these enterprises do not pay dividends to shareholders.
- Non-residents are only taxed on income or profits earned from Irish sources.
- If their reversal generates excessive exchange rate movements they are able to earn large profits.
verb (profits, profiting, profited)[no object]
- CEOs or other officers should not be allowed to profit from erroneous financial statements.
- They exist to serve rather than to profit from people's financial needs or indeed to support what is ultimately unsustainable spending.
- If you really want to stop it, you follow the trail of dollars and go after the money bosses who finance and profit from the ring.
- Particularly in the joint and coalition arenas, we can profit from the beneficial insight that historical analysis provides.
- Raff became Liszt's musical assistant for six years, profiting greatly.
- Also, I think they could profit enormously from Amy Welborn's common sense perspective.
- Putting those outlets in fewer and bigger hands profits the few at the cost of the many.
- Not only is it profitable for Living Earth but it is also profiting our environment.
- The rest of us, if we obey these laws as justice requires, are simply profiting the rulers.
at a profit
- Making more money than is spent buying, operating, or producing something: fixing up houses and selling them at a profitMore example sentences
- The pre-school is not a business, but a registered charity, unable to operate at a profit, forbidden to do so under laws governing charities.
- The management told us before Christmas that we were a little down on the projected budget in the three months to December but the company was still operating at a profit.
- It has the largest number of trains, stations, and long distance travellers, and it operates at a profit.
Middle English (in the sense 'advantage, benefit'): from Old French, from Latin profectus 'progress, profit', from proficere 'to advance', from pro- 'on behalf of' + facere 'do'. The verb is from Old French profiter.
Words that rhyme with profitprophet, soffit
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.