chiefly • historical
adjectiveBiology Back to top
- (Of a person or theory) supporting or based on the theory that all life forms progress or evolve to a higher form: progressionist evolutionistsMore example sentences
- Darwin opted for a progressionist interpretation of the record.
- We then see how thinking in terms of final causes was revived in the works of Immanuel Kant and William Paley, but now found itself faced with the problem of accommodating progressionist and evolutionist thinking.
- Merriam's views of evolution were progressionist, much more so than the views of most evolutionary biologists today.
More definitions of progressionistDefinition of progressionist in:
- The British & World English dictionary