Definition of prolong in English:
1Extend the duration of: an idea that prolonged the life of the engine by many years
More example sentences
- The addition of a vasoconstrictor, such as epinephrine, constricts blood vessels and reduces vascular uptake, which further prolongs the duration of the anesthetic.
- The latter is known to be due to the fact that hypocalcemia prolongs the duration of phase two of the action potential of cardiac muscle.
- Hypothermia impairs the metabolism of drugs, prolonging the duration of some pharmacologic effects.
- Example sentences
- Birth-related outcomes that were evaluated included estimated gestational age, length of prolongation, and delivery at term.
- Health has become the over-riding contemporary virtue, and the measure of health care in rich countries has become, to a great extent, the simple prolongation of life.
- The prognosis will be much improved if the reason for its continual exacerbation and consequent prolongation were removed.
Words that rhyme with prolongalong, belong, bong, chaise longue, Geelong, gong, Guangdong, Haiphong, Heilong, Hong Kong, Jong, King Kong, long, mah-jong, Mao Zedong, Mekong, nong, pong, sarong, Shillong, song, souchong, strong, thong, throng, tong, Vietcong, wrong
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan