- 1A person or thing that promotes something, in particular.More example sentences
- The fund raiser has been running now for over ten years and the committees extend thanks to all their supporters and promoters for their continued commitment.
- A sincere thank you is extended to all the promoters and supporters for their very efficient work over the last few months.
- The organisers extend thanks to promoters and all supporters.
- 1.1A person or company that finances or organizes a sporting event or theatrical production: a boxing promoterMore example sentences
- He was also an events promoter, notably organizing the Star Wars convention held in Montreal in '99.
- The runners up will also benefit, as just reaching the final brings them to the attention of agents, concert promoters and recording companies.
- Event organizers, music promoters and managers have the power to decide fees for each artist.
- 1.2A person involved in setting up and funding a new company.More example sentences
- The prominent accountant, company promoter, and Member of Parliament supported the change.
- Before you hand over any money or sign an agreement, ask the promoter about the stages involved, such as research, marketing and licensing, and any associated costs.
- Problems arose when it emerged that one of the promoters and a substantial shareholder in the company had been debarred from acting as a director in Britain.
- 1.3A supporter of a cause or aim: Mitterrand was a fierce promoter of European integrationMore example sentences
- To establish that divine creation deserved such support, its promoters had to convince the court that a non-Christian would find the case as convincing as the secular alternatives.
- He was a keen promoter and supporter of the Gaelic language and thoroughly enjoyed visiting the Western Isles to improve his command of the language.
- The Rocky Mountain Institute, a leading promoter of alternative energy technology in Snowmass, Colorado, has embraced this strategy.
- 1.4 (also promotor) Chemistry An additive that increases the activity of a catalyst.More example sentences
- However, in tobacco the same promoter directed GUS activity uniformly to the whole embryo.
- Low activity for both promoters was also observed in the early stages of seed germination and in young seedlings.
- With the full promoter, GUS activity was predominantly in the gland cell, with less in the stalk cell adjacent to the gland, and in lower stalk cells.
- 1.5 Biology A region of a DNA molecule that forms the site at which transcription of a gene starts.More example sentences
- The pattern of reporter gene expression exactly matches that of the trapped gene since its transcription starts from the promoter of this gene.
- A second regulatory protein has been shown to interact specifically with the upstream regions of rRNA P1 promoters.
- Both genes are driven by the ubiquitin promoter (plus intron).
late Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French promotour, from medieval Latin promotor (see promote).