1A thing or substance that causes something to move or be driven forward or outward, in particular.
- Liquid helium from a tank in the lunar module was used to assure a steady flow of propellants to the descent engine.
- Instead, the focus was to be on loads featuring some of the newer propellants.
- Such a maneuver would require a significant amount of propellant for conventional rocket systems.
1.1An inert fluid, liquefied under pressure, in which the active contents of an aerosol are dispersed.
- They have uses as propellants in aerosol spray cans, refrigerant gases, and foaming agents for blown plastics.
- These substances, also known as freons, were once used extensively as coolant fluids in refrigerators and air conditioners, and as propellants in aerosol cans.
- Today, almost all aerosol cans contain alternative propellants, such as liquefied petroleum gas, which do not pose as serious a threat to the environment.
1.2An explosive that fires bullets from a firearm.
- However, the use of this explosive mixture of saltpetre, charcoal, and sulphur as a propellant for bullets from firearms, and thus gun powder, is a western development and one which took place gradually from the 13th century.
- Many of the wars in this century were fought with TNT as the main explosive and with gunpowder as the main propellant of bullets and artillery shells.
- To fire the weapon a projectile containing the propellant and explosive is dropped into the muzzle.
1.3A substance used as a reagent in a rocket engine to provide thrust.
- More like rocket engines, jets produce thrust by burning propellant (jet fuel mixed with air) and forcing the rapidly expanding gases rearward.
- The extra propellant provides an additional 50 tonnes of thrust in the first 20 seconds following liftoff.
- Perchlorate is a waterborne contaminant left over from propellants and rocket fuels.
Capable of propelling something: propellant gases
More example sentences
- The cases are cleaned, inspected and reassembled for propellant casting, and a new nozzle and igniter are installed.
- The missile consists of a two-stage solid propellant rocket motor, a separation system and three high density darts.
- The mishap took place in the Center's solid propellant space booster plant, where rocket motors are filled with the solid fuel required for their operation.
Words that rhyme with propellantappellant, propellent, repellent, water-repellent
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of propellant in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.