Definition of propionic acid in English:
- Alternative name: propanoic acid; chemical formula: C2H5COOH
- Two other simple carboxylic acids are propionic acid and butyric acid.
- Each population cage contained two standard 240-ml food bottles, each containing 50 ml of standard fly medium containing sucrose, corn meal, yeast, agar, benzoic acid, methyl paraben, and propionic acid.
- Such breads are almost always chock full of preservatives like sorbic acid and propionic acid, which help to ward off mold.
- Example sentences
- At open-label baseline, pulmonary function of patients who had previously been treated with once-daily or twice-daily fluticasone propionate was improved compared with those previously treated with placebo.
- The prescribing of halobetasol propionate is limited to quantities less than 50 grams per week and to a two-week supply; additionally open-ended prescriptions will not be dispensed.
- The other group received the same doses of fluticasone propionate and mometasone furoate, but reversed in order, as shown in Figure 1.
Mid 19th century: propionic from French propionique, from Greek pro 'before' + piōn 'fat', it being the first or lowest molecular-weight member of the fatty acid series to form fats.
Definition of propionic acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.