Definition of proscenium in English:
noun (plural prosceniums or proscenia-nēə)
1The part of a theater stage in front of the curtain.
- The fourteen dancers melted into patterns out of an old Golddiggers flick and at one point, all posed at the front of the proscenium and twittered their legs like a bevy of chorines from an old Movietone newsreel.
- During an orchestra rehearsal for New York City Ballet, he rushes onto the stage from the audience, nimbly maneuvering over a narrow strip between the proscenium and the orchestra pit.
- No one dared intrude beyond the presidential seal woven into the center of the pale green rug that lay before the President's mahogany desk: the proscenium of the stage.
1.1 short for proscenium arch.
- Using the window like a movie screen or a theatrical proscenium, he constructs a scenario familiar from all visual narrative forms: the characters look at each other while we look at them.
- Conceding the point, many opera houses nowadays always flash surtitles above the proscenium.
- The coloured lights surrounding the proscenium were washed away and had no effect.
1.2The stage of an ancient theater.
- Before any appreciation of the performance, it should be noted that it is really a nice experience to watch those trained in theatre moving around the proscenium.
- It may seem a bit ironic that street theatre finds a place on the proscenium, but it nevertheless is the only time of the year when it gets its precious share of media as well as public attention.
- The largest studio measures 1,952 square feet and in width approximates the size of the proscenium in the Queen Elizabeth Theatre, where Ballet British Columbia performs locally.
Early 17th century: via Latin from Greek proskēnion, from pro 'before' + skēnē 'stage'.
Words that rhyme with prosceniumhelenium, rhenium, ruthenium, selenium
Definition of proscenium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.