- Any of a group of simple proteins found combined with nucleic acids, especially in fish sperm.More example sentences
- Sperm chromatin contains protamines that must be replaced by histones before undergoing condensation.
- During the process of spermatogenesis in animal species, protamines replace histones and bind sperm DNA.
- From recent developments in molecular biology, it is becoming clear that cationic chemical species, such as histone octamer, protamine, spermidine, etc. play an essential role in the packing of long DNA chains into the nucleus.
More definitions of protamineDefinition of protamine in:
- The British & World English dictionary