Definition of protectionism in English:
The theory or practice of shielding a country’s domestic industries from foreign competition by taxing imports.
- Moreover, the smaller the country, the greater will be the pressure to opt for free trade rather than protectionism.
- He tried to persuade organized labor that free trade and not protectionism was in its interests.
- We don't have to choose between strict protectionism and unregulated free trade.
- Example sentences
- All this leads to a myriad of various political economies with abundant protectionist features.
- The economic consequences of protectionist policies and of the trend toward autarky are the same for all countries.
- The opponents of world bureaucracies, no matter how much they favored free trade, were called isolationists and protectionists - words drawn from recent war propaganda.
Definition of protectionism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan