(also protective coloring)
- Coloring that disguises or camouflages a plant or animal.More example sentences
- The received view of protective coloration in animals is that conspicuous colors and patterns have evolved because they elicit avoidance behavior in potential predators.
- They applied the lessons of animal protective colouring to warfare, the former going so far as to argue that all animal markings, no matter how conspicuous, served the purpose of concealment.
- The same squid that first hides in the camouflage of protective coloration will, further threatened, jet swiftly away, but leaves behind a shadow-body of ink: a highly visible, if substanceless decoy.
More definitions of protective colorationDefinition of protective coloration in:
- The British & World English dictionary