- The 75-kD fusion protein was purified four times by affinity binding to an amylose resin.
- Western blot analysis confirmed that this truncated fusion protein is expressed in yeast (data not shown).
- The scientists have genetically engineered the animals to produce a green fluorescent protein in cells throughout the abdomen.
- Some postmenopausal women swear that dietary soy protein combats their hot flushes.
- Rice is high in protein, but these proteins are low in the essential amino acid lysine.
- There would be little rice and even less protein for the family before the rains came again in May.
- Example sentences
- Transport of polyelectrolytes, in particular of nucleic acid fragments, through proteinaceous pores in membranes has also been reported.
- They include activated charcoal, Congo red, India ink, proteinaceous compounds and fluorescent materials.
- Since mitochondria have two membranes, precursors targeted to the matrix must cross both barriers, presumably through proteinaceous channels.
Mid 19th century: from French protéine, German Protein, from Greek prōteios 'primary', from prōtos 'first'.
first from Old English:
The Old English word first goes back to an ancient root which is shared by Latin primus (as in prime), and Greek prōtos (as in protein (mid 19th century) and prototype (mid 16th century)). The expression first come, first served goes back to the Middle Ages and is found in the poetry of Geoffrey Chaucer. It was originally used in the context of milling, when a mill would serve the whole community. The first person to bring their corn to the mill would be the first person to have it ground. The first among equals is the member of a group that has the highest status. It is a translation of the Latin phrase primus inter pares, which was used as a title by Roman emperors. Many will know it today as the title of a Jeffrey Archer novel published in 1984. In Scotland to first-foot (early 19th century) is to be the first person to cross the threshold of a house in the New Year. Traditionally, it is thought lucky for that person to be a dark-haired man.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of protein in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.