A kingdom or large grouping that is either synonymous with the Protista or equivalent to the Protista together with their multicellular descendants.
- This section covers almost exclusively single-celled forms, i.e. the Protista or Protoctista.
- He says there are twenty or more kingdoms hidden in the Protoctista gloss.
- Example sentences
- Most nations of the world do not have complete inventories of their flora and fauna, let alone their fungi, protoctists, and prokaryotes (microorganisms).
- In recent years, eukaryotes have been broken down into four kingdoms: animals, plants, fungi, and protists or protoctists.
- Those who study protoctists, nucleated microorganisms and their immediate descendants exclusive of animals, plants and fungi, are disenfranchised.
Modern Latin (plural), based on Greek prōtos 'first'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Protoctista in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.