adjectiveBotany & Zoology
(Of a hermaphrodite flower or animal) having the female reproductive organs come to maturity before the male. The opposite of protandrous.
- The pistillate flower of the cyathium develops before the male ones; thus each cyathium is functionally a protogynous hermaphrodite ‘flower’.
- Female wrasses are called protogynous hermaphrodites, which means they can change sex to become males should there be a need, such as when a dominant male is eaten, dies, or is chased away.
- Flowers of this species are protogynous, visited by a good variety of insects, and capable of both self-and cross-fertilization.
- Example sentences
- However, the form of dichogamy (protogyny and protandry) is likely to have different consequences for autogamy versus geitonogamy.
- Protandry (and the less frequent, opposite pattern called protogyny) may occur for different reasons in different taxa.
- At the extreme, true prolificacy leads to protogyny whereas normal maize shows protandry.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of protogynous in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.