Definition of protrude in English:
1Extend beyond or above a surface: something like a fin protruded from the water
More example sentences
- Their stems and leaves protrude above the water surface.
- Leave the finishing nails protruding slightly above surface of the wood.
- Check all joints to make sure nothing protrudes above the surface.
1.1 [with object] (Of an animal) cause (a body part) to do this.
- The evolution of fish feeding systems is a history of change in multiple mechanical systems that raise the head, drop the lower jaw, expand the hyoid, and protrude the upper jaw.
- The eyes can be preserved inside or outside the carapace, which indicates that they could be protruded or withdrawn by the peduncles.
- Physical subdivision and structural alteration have been implicated in the evolution of the muscles involved in protruding the upper jaw in elasmobranchs.
early 17th century (in the sense 'thrust (something) forward or onward'): from Latin protrudere, from pro- 'forward, out' + trudere 'to thrust'.
- Example sentences
- The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons estimates around 1-2% of UK residents feel their ears are too protrusive.
- Small protrusions of the leading edge that are often balanced by corresponding retractions result in a very small protrusive force, and hence do not result in significant motility.
- Significantly, this relationship has a local maximum: too many barbed ends deplete the available monomer pool, too few are insufficient to generate protrusive force, so motility is stalled at either extreme.
Pronunciation: /-ˈtro͞osiv, -ziv/adjective
Words that rhyme with protrudeallude, brood, collude, conclude, crude, delude, dude, elude, étude, exclude, extrude, exude, feud, food, illude, include, intrude, Jude, lewd, mood, nude, obtrude, occlude, Oudh, preclude, prude, pseud, pultrude, rood, rude, seclude, shrewd, snood, transude, unglued, unsubdued, who'd, you'd
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia