Definition of provender in English:
- The children refuse all human food until they are given newly shelled beans, upon which provender they subsist until they learn to eat bread.
- We have both straw and provender enough, and room to lodge in.
- As the rocket and purslane disappeared, I began to forage Greenmarket for fall provender.
1.1 dated Animal fodder.
- Current costs consisted of provender, i.e. fodder and bedding, the pay of the workers who looked after the horses, and shoeing.
- Running carrier services efficiently involved considerable expenditure on horses together with their equipment and provender.
- The owner attached some provender to a rod, and suspended it over the animal's head. The animal, seeing these viands almost within reach, stepped gayly forward to consume them.
Definition of provender in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan