Definition of provender in English:
- The children refuse all human food until they are given newly shelled beans, upon which provender they subsist until they learn to eat bread.
- We have both straw and provender enough, and room to lodge in.
- As the rocket and purslane disappeared, I began to forage Greenmarket for fall provender.
1.1 dated Animal fodder.
- Current costs consisted of provender, i.e. fodder and bedding, the pay of the workers who looked after the horses, and shoeing.
- Running carrier services efficiently involved considerable expenditure on horses together with their equipment and provender.
- The owner attached some provender to a rod, and suspended it over the animal's head. The animal, seeing these viands almost within reach, stepped gayly forward to consume them.
Definition of provender in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.