noun(the psalter or the Psalter)
- 1.1A copy of the biblical Psalms, especially for liturgical use.More example sentences
- This volume fits my twin criteria: solid scholarship, combined with a sense of why the psalter is the prayer book of the synagogue and of the church.
- Psalm 137, one of the most evocative in the psalter, speaks from the perspective of the Israelites driven into exile and slavery after the Babylonian destruction of Jerusalem in 587 B.C.E.
- Variable psalmody is added to the ‘Little Hours’ during Lent, allowing the psalter to be recited twice each week.
Old English (p)saltere, via Latin psalterium from Greek psaltērion 'stringed instrument'.
More definitions of psalterDefinition of psalter in:
- The British & World English dictionary