Definition of pseudomembrane in English:
A layer of exudate resembling a membrane, formed on the surface of the skin or of a mucous membrane, especially the conjunctiva.
- Interestingly, pseudomembranes with Aspergillus fungal organisms were also identified within necrotizing pseudomembranes of the tracheobronchial mucosa.
- Development of pseudomembranes in the gastrointestinal tract during acute inflammatory or vascular diseases has been confined to the small and/or large bowel, with rare occurrences in the esophagus.
- In severe exposure, necrosis of the respiratory epithelium leads to formation of a pseudomembrane, bronchial plugging, and bronchopneumonia.
- Example sentences
- The first description of pseudomembranous lesions in the gastrointestinal tract was by Finney in 1883.1 The patient was a 22-year-old woman who had a tumor resected from the stomach.
- Bacterial tracheitis (also called pseudomembranous croup) is an uncommon infection that usually occurs in children and has a severe, rapidly progressive course.
- The patient was a 64-year-old woman with end-stage renal disease and sepsis who underwent colonoscopy to evaluate the possibility of pseudomembranous colitis.
Definition of pseudomembrane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.