Definition of psychometrics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
The science of measuring mental capacities and processes.
- Although this was necessary, due to the lack of pre-existing measures in the field, these measures lack established psychometrics.
- As a particular discipline, psychometrics provides methodologies for constructing measurement tools and frameworks for testing whether such tools achieve expected objectives.
- ‘For a hundred years, psychometrics have done a great job of identifying high ability in many domains, but we haven't spent as much time identifying underlying mechanisms responsible for why people test this way,’ says O'Boyle.
- Example sentences
- There are the psychometricians, who look at the statistics and biology of IQ and try to determine how much of intelligence is innate.
- Many psychometricians recognize multiple separate categories of intelligence.
- Teachers need not become psychologists or psychometricians to understand the purpose, advantages, and limitations of test scores.
Definition of psychometrics in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan