- A leafy-stemmed Eurasian plantain, the seeds of which are used as a laxative and as a bulking agent in the treatment of obesity.
More example sentences
- Plantago afra, family Plantaginaceae
- The second type of laxative is a lubricating bulk laxative, including demulcent herbs such as psyllium and flax seed.
- I also started taking 1,500 mg of the laxative herb psyllium.
- Total fat intake was also significantly lower in g/d and as a percentage of energy on the day of the meal with the psyllium treatment compared to water.
mid 16th century: via Latin from Greek psullion, from psulla 'flea' (because the seeds resemble fleas).
More definitions of psylliumDefinition of psyllium in:
- The British & World English dictionary