Definition of pteropod in English:
A small mollusk with winglike extensions to its body that it uses for swimming.
- ● Orders Thecosomata (with shells) and Gymnosomata (lacking shells), class Gastropoda.
- The commonest macrofaunal elements of the Carriacou succession are benthic molluscs, pteropods, scleractinian corals and, particularly in the Grand Bay Formation, articulate brachiopods (Donovan and Harper, 1997, in press).
- The unusual relationship between the pelagic mollusc Clione antarctica, a pteropod, and its amphipod abductor has been described as ‘antagonistic symbiosis’.
- Initially, Walcott considered Matthevia to be a snail, either a pteropod or a new form of equivalent rank, although he made this assignment with reservation.
Definition of pteropod in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan