Definition of ptosis in English:
Drooping of the upper eyelid due to paralysis or disease, or as a congenital condition.
- The first sign frequently presents as ocular muscle weakness resulting in diploplia (double vision) and/or ptosis (drooping eyelid).
- Symptoms include nasal congestion, ptosis of one eyelid, miosis, and conjunctional hyperemia.
- On physical examination, slight proptosis of the left eye and ptosis of the left upper eyelid were noted.
mid 18th century: from Greek ptōsis, from piptein 'to fall'.
- Example sentences
- Occasionally, the small volume of TRAM tissue cannot fulfill the requirements for breast symmetry, especially in those patients with limited abdominal tissue and large ptotic breasts.
- This flap also permits large ptotic breasts to be reconstructed without recourse to breast implants.
- In older patients, these glands may become ptotic and appear more prominent.
Pronunciation: /ˈtōˌtik, ˈtätik/adjective
Definition of ptosis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India