Definition of public nuisance in English:
1An act, condition, or thing that is illegal because it interferes with the rights of the public generally.
- Thus the duty overlaps with occupiers liability, public nuisance and private nuisance.
- The other exception related to the old common law offence of public nuisance.
- The classic statement of the difference [between private and public nuisance] is that a public nuisance affects Her Majesty's subjects generally, whereas a private nuisance only affects particular individuals.
1.1 informal An obnoxious or dangerous person or group of people.
- Certainly car locking horn blasts and car horn alarms should be banned as obnoxious public nuisances.
- Now, cell phones are not a status symbol but a public nuisance.
- Get a job and find something to do other than being a public nuisance.
Definition of public nuisance in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan