Definition of puffball in English:
1A fungus that produces a spherical or pear-shaped fruiting body that ruptures when ripe to release a cloud of spores.
- Families Lycoperdaceae, class Gasteromycetes, in particular genus Lycoperdon. See also giant puffball
- This class contains the mushrooms, shelf fungi, puffballs, and a variety of other macrofungi.
- Any fungus of obviously non-mushroom shape, such as the puffball, morel, or truffle, is usually referred to under its own name; but the general remarks on mushrooms here refer to these equally.
- The fungal kingdom consists of macroscopic fungi (mushrooms, puffballs, and gills) vs. microscopic fungi (yeasts and hyphae).
Definition of puffball in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan