Definition of puffball in English:
1A fungus that produces a spherical or pear-shaped fruiting body that ruptures when ripe to release a cloud of spores.
- Families Lycoperdaceae, class Gasteromycetes, in particular genus Lycoperdon. See also giant puffball
- This class contains the mushrooms, shelf fungi, puffballs, and a variety of other macrofungi.
- Any fungus of obviously non-mushroom shape, such as the puffball, morel, or truffle, is usually referred to under its own name; but the general remarks on mushrooms here refer to these equally.
- The fungal kingdom consists of macroscopic fungi (mushrooms, puffballs, and gills) vs. microscopic fungi (yeasts and hyphae).
Words that rhyme with puffballpunchball • fireball
Definition of puffball in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.