Definition of puffer in English:
1 informal A person or thing that puffs, in particular, a person who smokes.
- Neither of us being puffers we found it quite hard to bear the sweat dripping off our faces from the cooking plates in front of us, coupled with the smoke puffed from every other patron in the joint.
- But surely this is just as difficult as policing bars for errant puffers?
- China will not become stronger if it continues to have one third of the world's puffers.
2 short for pufferfish.
- Also called balloonfish, spiny puffers belong to the Tetraodontiformes, an order of fishes known for their strange structures and odd behaviors.
- Further evidence that the several instances of beach spawning in fishes arose by different mechanisms comes from puffers and sticklebacks.
- There is no shortage of choice, a good variety of butterflyfish, an unusual striped damselfish, puffers and a shoal of small barracuda.
Words that rhyme with pufferbluffer, buffer, duffer, snuffer, suffer
Definition of puffer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.