A hole-nesting auk (seabird) of northern and Arctic waters, with a large head and a massive, brightly colored triangular bill.
- Genera Fratercula and Lunda, family Alcidae: three species, in particular the Atlantic puffin (F. arctica)
More example sentences
- One would imagine this place to be a paradise of alcids of all types, guillemots, dovekies, puffins, razorbills, murres, and murrelets all splashing around in their black and white finery.
- Do not let it run free on coastal islands because terns, eider ducks, puffins, and storm petrels are ground nesters.
- Along thousands of miles of coastline, you will see colonies of seabirds clustered in cliffs - gannets, puffins, guillemots, razorbills, and kittiwakes.
Definition of puffin in:
- The British & World English dictionary