Definition of puggaree in English:
1An Indian turban.
- ‘This,’ she said, proffering Mr. Dobbs' steamed fedora with its saffron puggaree, as if it were a fresh pie.
- I cannot tell you upon what impulse I acted, but lifting my rifle I brought it down till it was trained just short of the rim of his white puggaree, and fired.
1.1A thin muslin scarf tied around a sun helmet so as to hang down over the wearer’s neck and shield it from the sun.
- Originally made of pith with small peaks at the front and back, the helmet was covered by white cloth, often with a cloth band (or puggaree) around it, and small holes for ventilation.
- This ceremonial cork helmet, with puggaree, may have been for the South African Police Mounted Unit - or perhaps the Govenor-Generals mounted escort.
From Hindi pagṛī 'turban'.
Definition of puggaree in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.