- 1A section of a magazine or newspaper that is designed to be detached and kept for rereading: don’t miss Monday’s 8-page NBA pulloutMore example sentences
- This week school leavers are poring over those pull-outs in the newspapers giving the official lists of vacancies at British universities for everything from accommodation management to youth studies (I'm not making it up).
- A few teachers were catching up on things, but some appeared to have caught up, and were catching up on computer games and newspaper bargain shopping pull-outs instead (and this included the headmaster).
- As a pull-out in the magazine suggests, ‘Do you feel lucky?’
- 2A withdrawal, especially from military involvement or participation in a commercial venture.More example sentences
- He concluded by calling on the movers of a motion calling for the early pull-out of British troops to withdraw their motion in the interests of party unity.
- In the end, the opposition motion was composited from those submitted by 13 CLPs and did not even call for an immediate withdrawal of British troops, urging only an ‘early pull-out.’
- That pull-out also went ahead despite the attack.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
- 1Designed to be pulled out of the usual position: pullout wire baskets at the bottom of one cupboardMore example sentences
- The girls have the bedrooms, while Tom and Linda, 45, sleep on a pullout couch in the living room.
- Stella tells Blanche that there are only two rooms and she will be sleeping on a small pullout bed separated only by a curtain.
- Lazy Susans, pullout shelves, and special trays can make kitchen cabinets much more useful.
- 1.1(Of a section of a magazine, newspaper, or other publication) designed to be detached and kept.More example sentences
- He handed over the pull-out section of his magazine, entitled ‘Top 100 Sexiest Movie Stars’ or something like that.
- The Guardian's pull-out supplement on the same day sported a black cover with just the words ‘Oh, God’ in the middle.
- Please use the Convention 2005 special pull-out section for all your registration needs.
More definitions of pulloutDefinition of pullout in:
- The British & World English dictionary