Definition of pullout in English:
1A section of a magazine or newspaper that is designed to be detached and kept for rereading: don’t miss Monday’s 8-page NBA pullout
More example sentences
- This week school leavers are poring over those pull-outs in the newspapers giving the official lists of vacancies at British universities for everything from accommodation management to youth studies (I'm not making it up).
- A few teachers were catching up on things, but some appeared to have caught up, and were catching up on computer games and newspaper bargain shopping pull-outs instead (and this included the headmaster).
- As a pull-out in the magazine suggests, ‘Do you feel lucky?’
2A withdrawal, especially from military involvement or participation in a commercial venture.
- He concluded by calling on the movers of a motion calling for the early pull-out of British troops to withdraw their motion in the interests of party unity.
- In the end, the opposition motion was composited from those submitted by 13 CLPs and did not even call for an immediate withdrawal of British troops, urging only an ‘early pull-out.’
- That pull-out also went ahead despite the attack.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
1Designed to be pulled out of the usual position: pullout wire baskets at the bottom of one cupboard
More example sentences
- The girls have the bedrooms, while Tom and Linda, 45, sleep on a pullout couch in the living room.
- Stella tells Blanche that there are only two rooms and she will be sleeping on a small pullout bed separated only by a curtain.
- Lazy Susans, pullout shelves, and special trays can make kitchen cabinets much more useful.
1.1(Of a section of a magazine, newspaper, or other publication) designed to be detached and kept.
- He handed over the pull-out section of his magazine, entitled ‘Top 100 Sexiest Movie Stars’ or something like that.
- The Guardian's pull-out supplement on the same day sported a black cover with just the words ‘Oh, God’ in the middle.
- Please use the Convention 2005 special pull-out section for all your registration needs.
Definition of pullout in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia