1A raised platform or lectern in a church or chapel from which the preacher delivers a sermon.
- The gay rights movement is uncomfortable with that tack, a skepticism bred from years of anti-gay sermons being delivered from pulpits across the country.
- Early Christian churches had no pulpits other than the ambos where scriptures could be read.
- Within the past year I've read newspaper accounts of two Protestant pastors who were suspended from their pulpits for preaching sermons downloaded from the Internet.
1.1 (the pulpit) Religious teaching as expressed in sermons; preachers collectively: the movies could rival the pulpit as an agency molding the ideas of the mass public
More example sentences
- The importance of provocative teaching from the pulpit is to remind and encourage persons of all ages to hear anew the call to discipleship which God issues.
- I will grant you that ‘provocation’ may not be the most socially acceptable form of teaching from the pulpit.
- They actually like to see more correlation from the pulpit of their religious commitment and how it affects public policy.
1.2A raised platform in the bow of a fishing boat or whaler.
- With its integrated swim platform and bow pulpit, the deck of the 300 Fiesta Vee has the appearance and feel of a larger boat.
- Torn canvas, crushed bow pulpits and swim platforms, crunched rub rails and assorted dings will keep repair yards busy for months.
- Another concern voiced by some is that the length of the boat does not include the bow pulpit and owners have found their Silvertons don't fit into their slips.
1.3A guard rail enclosing a small area at the bow of a yacht.
- I hung over the side of the pulpit and saw that the bobstay chain was shackled to the end cap on the bowsprit, so I hunted up a wrench and another shackle.
- Not only are stanchions and pulpits expensive to repair or replace, but they often tear out at the bases, which will cost you even more money.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.