Definition of pump-action in English:
1Denoting a repeating firearm, typically a shotgun, in which a new round is brought from the magazine into the breech by a slide action in line with the barrel.
- The firearm used was a pump-action shotgun, a weapon banned in the UK for more than a decade.
- A car pulled up alongside and the gunman fired three rounds from a pump-action shotgun.
- They're heavily armed, pump-action shot guns, handguns and cuffs.
2Denoting a spray dispenser for a liquid such as deodorant or cooking oil that is worked by finger action rather than by internal pressure (as in an aerosol).
- To a 1-quart pump-action spray bottle, add 1 teaspoon each mild dishwashing liquid and cooking oil, then enough water to make 1 quart; shake to mix.
- A subway station in a suburb of Washington DC was closed after the armed man released the spray from a pump-action bottle as police arrested him.
- This was a kind of pump-action bleach spray that was supposed to give your hair that much sought after sun-kissed look.
Definition of pump-action in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India