Definition of pumpkinseed in English:
noun (plural same or pumpkinseeds)
A small, edible, brightly colored freshwater fish of the sunfish family, native to North America. It is popular in aquariums and has been introduced into many European waters.
- Lepomis gibbosus, family Centrarchidae
- Panfish comprise the black crappie, bluegill, green sunfish, pumpkinseed, rock bass, white crappie, and yellow perch.
- In the pumpkinseed sunfish, parental care is provided exclusively by males, but some males parasitize others by sneaking fertilizations.
- The pumpkinseed sunfish, Lepomis gibbosus, was used in New Hampshire experiments and the spotted sunfish, Lepomis punctatus in the Florida experiments.
Words that rhyme with pumpkinseedrapeseed • linseed
Definition of pumpkinseed in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan