- By all reports, the mountain men love mountain women almost as much as winning rugby league games (a cheap pun based on no facts).
- The name Cindy sounds like a near pun to cinders, which speaks again to the idea of complete destruction for the birth of some new work.
- We can deduce whether a consonant was sounded from the way puns work.
verb (puns, punning, punned)[no object] Back to top
- There's some sort of joke / pun to be made here using the phrase ‘I'd give my eye teeth ’, but I can't figure out what it is.
- There are some truly stupid sequel titles out there, which are either puns on the word ‘two’ or add some extra element to the original that lets you know it's a sequel.
- Gas from a Burner is a poem which puns on the word gas.
mid 17th century: perhaps an abbreviation of obsolete pundigrion, as a fanciful alteration of punctilio.
- Example sentences
- Who else would write, let alone attempt to sing, a line such as ‘I hate verisimilitude’, or punningly entitle a song ‘Neil Jung’?
- Actually it's punningly called Steps To The Stars because the show is presented to two members of teen sensation, Steps.
- And Gertrude retaliates in kind when she punningly and pithily retorts: ‘We shall as soon get a fart from a dead man as a farthing of courtesy here.’
- Example sentences
- But Norris also will be remembered as the ultimate pin punster and prankster.
- For that, and for the delight of his surname which pleases headline writers and punsters everywhere, it is wonderful that Jim Butter - Fingers to his pals - will be with us for at least another season.
- Larry, I just hope that all the punsters and pollsters and pundits are wrong, and it's not close.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Entry from British & World English dictionary
verb (puns, punning, punned)[with object] British
mid 16th century: dialect variant of pound2.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.