- Damages exceeding simple compensation and awarded to punish the defendant.More example sentences
- Exemplary damages or punitive damages, the terms are synonymous, stand apart from awards of compensatory damages.
- In my view, the case at bar is one where punitive damages must be awarded because of the conduct of all Defendants.
- The Law Commission emphasised that an award of punitive damages should be seen as a remedy of last resort.
More definitions of punitive damagesDefinition of punitive damages in:
- The British & World English dictionary