Definition of puppet in English:
1A movable model of a person or animal that is used in entertainment and is typically moved either by strings controlled from above or by a hand inside it.
- His innovative use of string puppets and model special effects made the series a huge hit.
- The critics at Bombay Dreams all mentioned the fountain scene, for The Lion King it was the amazing effects and animal puppets.
- From shadow puppets to puppets on a string, the emphasis this year is on visual theatre.
1.1A person, party, or state under the control of another person, group, or power: he was little more than a puppet of his aides
More example sentences
- It is about leading one's own life. It is about not being the puppet or the slave of the choices and desires of others.
- Nicholas is just a pawn, a puppet for Wilson and that is just a temporary situation until Wilson is ready to strike.
- She was remembering how he had played her like a rag puppet being controlled by strings.
- Example sentences
- The range of art is quite diverse: Photography, paintings, clay models, fashion design, wood and metal work and puppetry are all there.
- Inspired by his illustrations, life and nonsense poems, it includes songs and music written specially for the show, clowning, and puppetry.
- They partly based their style on Japanese Bunraku puppetry where the puppeteers are on stage, dressed in black, the puppets attached to their bodies.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan