Definition of purebred in English:
(Of an animal) bred from parents of the same breed or variety.
- The offspring of a mating between two purebred dogs of different breeds is a mongrel, a mutt.
- Because of the way dogs have been breed, there is little genetic variation within purebred dogs and many breeds of dogs began with a very small number of dogs, so they had little genetic variation to begin with.
- Three of 15 cooperators were purebred cattle operations, one cooperator was already retaining ownership to the feedyard, and six cooperators failed to participate in the feedout program.
nounBack to top
An animal bred from parents of the same breed or variety.
- In my experience purebreds seem to have more health problems due to overbreeding.
- When I asked the owner he said this is a genetic problem with purebreds.
- Their dairy cattle were never the best in Middlesex County, but during World War I George Bogue began to improve the dairy herd with the purchase of Holstein-Friesan purebreds.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan