Definition of purine in English:
1A colorless crystalline compound with basic properties, forming uric acid on oxidation.
- A bicyclic compound; chemical formula: C5H4N4
- The major enzymological studies underway in the field of biochemistry prior to 1950 unfortunately were focused on carbon metabolism, not on amino acid, vitamin, purine, or pyrimidine biosynthesis.
- Scientists have long known that gout develops when joints become fouled with crystals of uric acid, which is a natural digestion product of purine.
- Conversely, the reaction of purine and pyrimidine nucleobases with alkylating and oxidizing agents generally results in site-specific cleavage.
1.1 (also purine base) A substituted derivative of this, especially the bases adenine and guanine present in DNA and RNA.
- The purines adenine and guanine are constituents of DNA.
- Indeed, all the genes encoding enzymes required for de novo AMP biosynthesis are repressed at the transcriptional level by the presence of extracellular purines (adenine or hypoxanthine).
- This view was reinforced by the elucidation of Z DNA and Z RNA structures, where the syn purines are mostly guanines.
Definition of purine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.