Definition of purine in English:
1A colorless crystalline compound with basic properties, forming uric acid on oxidation.
- The major enzymological studies underway in the field of biochemistry prior to 1950 unfortunately were focused on carbon metabolism, not on amino acid, vitamin, purine, or pyrimidine biosynthesis.
- Scientists have long known that gout develops when joints become fouled with crystals of uric acid, which is a natural digestion product of purine.
- Conversely, the reaction of purine and pyrimidine nucleobases with alkylating and oxidizing agents generally results in site-specific cleavage.
1.1 (also purine base) A substituted derivative of this, especially the bases adenine and guanine present in DNA and RNA.
- The purines adenine and guanine are constituents of DNA.
- Indeed, all the genes encoding enzymes required for de novo AMP biosynthesis are repressed at the transcriptional level by the presence of extracellular purines (adenine or hypoxanthine).
- This view was reinforced by the elucidation of Z DNA and Z RNA structures, where the syn purines are mostly guanines.
Definition of purine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan