Practicing or affecting strict religious or moral behavior.
- The other great influence on Lane's life was his mother's puritanical religious convictions.
- This and other writings inspired a puritanical movement of religious devotion that came to be known as Jansenism.
- Sallinen was born at Narmes, the son of a tailor who belonged to the puritanical religious sect of the Hihhulit.
- Example sentences
- No party hack, she campaigns for a purer communism responsive to the needs of each neighborhood but puritanically resistant to the commercial blandishments even then battering at the eastern gates.
- At a time when everyone else was tripping out on psychedelic rock Flack's recording of Ewan Macoll's folk song was an unlikely hit; the music was puritanically plain, the words so simple.
- Benglis's photograph can be read in various ways, appealing to the libertarian feminist as surely as it repelled the more puritanically minded.
Words that rhyme with puritanicalbotanical, Brahmanical, mechanical, sanicle, tyrannical
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.