Practicing or affecting strict religious or moral behavior.
More example sentences
- The other great influence on Lane's life was his mother's puritanical religious convictions.
- This and other writings inspired a puritanical movement of religious devotion that came to be known as Jansenism.
- Sallinen was born at Narmes, the son of a tailor who belonged to the puritanical religious sect of the Hihhulit.
- More example sentences
- No party hack, she campaigns for a purer communism responsive to the needs of each neighborhood but puritanically resistant to the commercial blandishments even then battering at the eastern gates.
- At a time when everyone else was tripping out on psychedelic rock Flack's recording of Ewan Macoll's folk song was an unlikely hit; the music was puritanically plain, the words so simple.
- Benglis's photograph can be read in various ways, appealing to the libertarian feminist as surely as it repelled the more puritanically minded.