- 2A marsh bird of the rail family, with a purplish-blue head and breast and a large red bill, found throughout the Old World.
More example sentences
- Porphyrio porphyrio, family Rallidae
- Texans licensed to hunt with trained raptors may loose those birds through Jan. 28 on rails, moorhens and purple gallinules.
- In the lagoon I saw a couple of coots, three moorhens chasing each other around in the grass, a magpie flying over the marsh, and a spectacular purple gallinule (not the same species as the one in North America).
More definitions of purple gallinuleDefinition of purple gallinule in:
- The British & World English dictionary