1A rash of purple spots on the skin caused by internal bleeding from small blood vessels.
- Inhibition of platelet adhesion and aggregation, prolonged bleeding time, purpura, postoperative wound hemorrhage
- Many of these patients had edema, purpura, or ecchymosis.
- Adverse effects of warfarin include haemorrhage, hypersensitivity and skin rashes, alopecia, and purpura.
1.1 [with adjective] Any of several diseases characterized by a purple rash: psychogenic purpura
More example sentences
- She was diagnosed with a thrombotic thrombocytopenia purpura like syndrome and was treated with daily plasma exchange and steroids.
- Prone positioning did not worsen pre-existing skin injury (graft-vs-host disease and purpura fulminans).
- In 1988, she presented with idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura and anemia.
- Example sentences
- Gigantean (larger and fewer lesions), pustular, purpuric, or vesicular pityriasis rosea occurs in rare cases.
- These lesions included papular, urticarial, purpuric, pustular, and eczematoid changes, such as papular urticaria.
- Children with disseminated intravascular coagulopathy are generally quite ill and may present with extensive purpuric lesions and petechiae, as well as multifocal hemorrhage.
Mid 18th century: from Latin, from Greek porphura 'purple'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of purpura in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.