1(Of a cat) make a low continuous vibratory sound usually expressing contentment.
- The cat purred loudly as Daniel scratched him behind the ears.
- The cat purred loudly as he petted her and paid attention to her.
- Ant muttered quietly, as the cat purred loudly and began to settle herself in his lap, claws digging in through his denim jeans.
1.1(Of a vehicle or engine) move smoothly while making a low vibratory sound: a sleek blue BMW purred past him
More example sentences
- The car zoomed up behind Jack's BMW, its engine purring and the bright sun reflecting off its red chassis.
- He started the car, and drove off, into the horizon, his car engine purring like a happy kitten.
- Gwen pulled to a stop in front of the Browning mansion, the Benz's engine purring softly under the shiny silver hood.
1.2Speak in a low soft voice, especially when expressing contentment or acting seductively: [with direct speech]: “Would you like coffee?” she purred [with object]: she purred her lines seductively
More example sentences
- The female voice purred seductively in his ear.
- Her voice was low and purring, seductive and soothing.
- A silky voice purred and I cringed, hating myself for what I was about to do.
A low continuous vibratory sound, typically that made by a cat or vehicle.
- Back at Gleb and Sherry's condo, Yoli and I were introduced to their cat, a sleek animal that was actually friendly, with nearly continuous purrs or meows emanating from its cute little open mouth.
- She continues her satisfied purrs once again, and I join her, smiling warmly down at her, she's being so much nicer to me now.
- Stroking in circular motions, tracing down her sides, then up her spine and outward again to repeat the process; continuing to receive encouraging purrs from her.
Early 17th century: imitative.
Words that rhyme with purrà deux, agent provocateur, astir, auteur, aver, bestir, blur, bon viveur, burr, Chandigarh, coiffeur, concur, confer, connoisseur, cordon-bleu, cri de cœur, cur, danseur, Darfur, defer, demur, de rigueur, deter, entrepreneur, er, err, farceur, faute de mieux, fir, flâneur, Fleur, force majeure, fur, hauteur, her, infer, inter, jongleur, Kerr, littérateur, longueur, masseur, Monseigneur, monsieur, Montesquieu, Montreux, murre, myrrh, occur, pas de deux, Pasteur, per, pisteur, poseur, pot-au-feu, prefer, prie-dieu, pudeur, raconteur, rapporteur, refer, répétiteur, restaurateur, saboteur, sabreur, seigneur, Sher, shirr, sir, skirr, slur, souteneur, spur, stir, tant mieux, transfer, Ur, vieux jeu, voyageur, voyeur, were, whirr
Definition of purr in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.