Generally considered or reputed to be: the putative father of a boy of two
More example sentences
- The cuckolded father is in this sense also a helper, but we do not use the term for putative fathers.
- Moyes does acknowledge that other putative claimants had seen the technology demonstrated.
- These large FKBPs contain the putative domains reported for interaction with Hsp 90 in animals.
supposed, assumed, presumed;
commonly regarded, presumptive, alleged, reputed, reported, rumored
- Example sentences
- Or consider State of Emergency, a putatively radical riot simulator.
- The idea of having a single minister with responsibility for Scotland, Wales and - putatively - English regional government defies all common sense.
- It's startling to see putatively liberal moviemakers portray celibacy as a noble, selfless, even rational endeavor.
Late Middle English: from Old French putatif, -ive or late Latin putativus, from Latin putat- 'thought', from the verb putare.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.