- A violent attempt to overthrow a government.More example sentences
- In Caracas, the elected president is a Castroite who earlier attempted a beer-hall putsch and is busily immiserating his middle class.
- Whether this would be achieved by popular uprising or a putsch by a few well placed individuals with Western backing has yet to be seen.
- Not a few thought that the Herut might mount a putsch.
1920s: from Swiss German, literally 'thrust, blow'.
More definitions of putschDefinition of putsch in:
- The British & World English dictionary