- The rapid intermittent sound of a small gasoline engine: she heard the putt-putt of a boat coming toward themMore example sentences
- She doesn't hear the putt-putt of the moped as it approaches.
- For such a big machine, it made an incredibly gentle noise, the calming putt-putt of an outboard engine on a small boat.
- Elsewhere, the delightful putt-putt sounds of fishing traffic off Vancouver Island sidle up alongside the Pärt and Ligeti and early Floyd influences.
verb[no object] Back to top
- Make a rapid intermittent sound: the machine gun putt-putted behind meMore example sentences
- They were plunging feet-first toward a little motorboat putt-putting across the ocean.
- It started to sputter and putt-putt and just as I reached my friends' garage door, it died.
early 20th century: imitative.