- A thorny evergreen Eurasian shrub with white flowers and bright red or yellow berries that is a popular ornamental. Also called firethorn.
More example sentences
- Genus Pyracantha, family Rosaceae
- Plants such as pyracantha and Japanese quince produce flowers and berries on branches more than 1 year old.
- Wall shrubs including pyracantha or ornamental quince can be trained and get less out of control than some vigorous climbers.
- The pyracantha bushes flaunt the screaming orange berries, the deciduous hollies sport sparkling red ones on bare stems.
modern Latin, via Latin from Greek purakantha, the name of an unidentified plant, from pur 'fire' + akantha 'thorn'.
More definitions of pyracanthaDefinition of pyracantha in:
- The British & World English dictionary