Pyramids were built as tombs for Egyptian pharaohs from the 3rd dynasty (circa 2649 bc) until circa 1640 bc. Monuments of similar shape are associated with the Maya and Aztec civilizations of circa 1200 bc- ad 750, and, like those in Egypt, were part of large ritual complexes
- The ancient Egyptians used the pyramids as tombs for the pharaohs and temples for their gods.
- How were ancient peoples able to construct monumental Egyptian pyramids in an age devoid of the tools of modern technology?
- The overall appearance of this part of the block slightly resembles a stepped pyramid.
- Designed by Georgi Stoilov, it is shaped as an inverted pyramid, each of the six floors protruding above the lower one.
- The book says you can also shape them in little pyramids like French bakeries sometimes do.
- A raised pyramid roof and cricket ball-proof windows will offer sweeping views over the parkland.
- Volumes of solids such as prisms, pyramids, tetrahedrons, wedges, cylinders and truncated cones are calculated.
- Such a solid is sometimes called a Heronian tetrahedron or a perfect pyramid.
- A hedge trimmed into a reverse pyramid shape will become sparse at the bottom from lack of light.
- The cortical tissue in the area between the medullary pyramids constitutes the renal columns of Bertin.
- Corticospinal and corticobulbar fibers descend in large bundles at this level, destined for the pyramids of the medulla oblongata.
- The surgical section covers incision and approaches for septal surgery, together with surgery of the pyramid, globule, turbinates and nasal cavity.
- Achieving the upper levels of the pyramid requires social and political action.
- The majority of women still work at the lower levels of the economic pyramid.
- When there is enormous economic scarcity on the bottom of the social pyramid, pluralism can undo democracy.
- This diversity leads to the beauty of the investment pyramid.
- If the main inducement to customers is their own future profits, then MLM has become a pyramid system.
- So, take a leaf out of Warren's book and use the stock market - not financial pyramid schemes - to make you wealthier.
verb[with object] chiefly North American Back to top
- What is the " best " way to do the gene pyramiding?
- Most of the NFL men are gathered at the finish line, pyramiding with watches outstretched.
- This allowed them to inflate, to pyramid deposits and loans on a smaller and smaller base of gold.
- So they feed their bonds to the central bank and use the proceeds to pyramid in commodities, causing prices to rise.
- Worse still, they will buy more, expecting that nice back-wind from the Fed to make pyramiding risk-free.
late Middle English (in the geometric sense): via Latin from Greek puramis, puramid-, of unknown ultimate origin.
- More example sentences
- Ruppert and Huston instituted a pyramidal front office structure that proved successful.
- More example sentences
- And they have to accept that we have a pyramidical hierarchical structure.
- ‘Art is a very pyramidical profession, so only a few at the very top are actually fixed up - maybe like Douglas [Gordon],’ he says.
- There is a whole branch of the publishing industry devoted to meeting this hunger for pyramidical.
Definition of pyramid in:
- The British & World English dictionary