- A heap of combustible material, especially one for burning a corpse as part of a funeral ceremony.More example sentences
- We were almost fed up seeing all the corpses and pyres along the bank of the river.
- ‘Re-starting burning in pyres might also be required,’ it warns.
- The horrific TV pictures of huge burning pyres of animal carcases helped make animal welfare a more sensitive issue.
mid 17th century: via Latin from Greek pura, from pur 'fire'.
More definitions of pyreDefinition of pyre in:
- The British & World English dictionary