A yellowish organic acid that occurs as an intermediate in many metabolic processes, especially glycolysis.
More example sentences
- Pyruvate is the ‘salt’ of pyruvic acid - a product formed during the aerobic breakdown of glucose.
- The breakdown of glycogen, the formation of pyruvic acid and hydrogen ions are represented by the tap.
- During glycolysis, a glucose molecule is split to form two molecules of pyruvic acid.
- More example sentences
- This is similar to previous observations with another FAD-dependent enzyme, pyruvate oxidase.
- The medium was supplemented with uridine and pyruvate as described by King and Attardi.
- The reaction was started by the addition of pyruvate kinase, the final volume being 0.5 ml.
Definition of pyruvic acid in:
- The British & World English dictionary