Definition of quadrant in English:
1Each of four quarters of a circle.
- Arrange the bricks evenly around the circumference, leaving no large gaps, then divide the circle into four equal quadrants with remaining bricks.
- In the north-east quadrant was a second circle, although little survives.
- Use it to snap to the nearest quadrant of an arc, circle, ellipse, elliptical arc, and some 3D solids.
1.1Each of four parts of a plane, sphere, space, or body divided by two lines or planes at right angles: the right upper quadrant of the kidney
More example sentences
- Dividing the newspapers into quadrants by circulation size gave the same revelation.
- We divided the study area into four 24 m X 16.5 rn quadrants (quarters).
- If one imagines a square with four quadrants, the top left-hand quadrant is the case where there is a simple breach of confidentiality.
1.2 historical An instrument used for taking angular measurements of altitude in astronomy and navigation, typically consisting of a graduated quarter circle and a sighting mechanism.
- Millburn shows that much of the business, for George Sr. and Jr., was in quadrants and other navigational instruments.
- Lavanha also studied instruments used in navigation, constructing astrolabes, quadrants and compasses.
- In 1730 he invented a quadrant which measured the altitude of the Sun or of a star.
1.3A frame fixed to the head of a ship’s rudder, to which the steering mechanism is attached.
- Cables or chains run round a quadrant attached to the top of the rudder shaft.
- Above the stern a large steering quadrant is still attached to the rudder post.
- At the top is the steering quadrant, while at the bottom the rudder lies flat against the seabed.
1.4A panel with slots through which a lever is moved to orient or otherwise control a mechanism.
- At the first sign of engine failure, the pilot must advance all six levers on the power quadrant.
- Each unit consisted of a quadrant and bellcrank assembly, a control valve, an actuator cylinder assembly and a bypass control assembly.
- Acceptable growth on the control quadrants indicated acceptable quality control.
Late Middle English (denoting the astronomical instrument): from Latin quadrans, quadrant- 'quarter', from quattuor four.
Words that rhyme with quadrantfigurant • obscurant
Definition of quadrant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan